Featured Post

Compassionate Kids, a conversation

I recently read another blog post that was going around face book.  It was about talking with your kids about being compassionate. http://...

Friday, August 12, 2016

Meal Plan

Ok.  Its back to School/ Fall Sports season.  My "Busy Season" at home.  School starts in 11 days, but fall sports is in full swing.  If you think you are busy, check out our schedule:

M:  A, Band 2:30-5:30
       P, Cheer 2:30 - 4:00
       P, Tumbling 7:00- 8:00
       Nay, Baby Ballet/Tumbling  6:00- 7:00
       Me&JJ, Small Group/Bible Study 7:30-9:00 (every other week)
T:   A, Band 4-6
      C, Soccer 5:30-6:30
      JJ, Soccer Coach 5:30-6:30
      S, Soccer 6:30-8:00
      A, Soccer 6:30-7:30
W: A, Youth Group 7:00-9:00
      P, Cheer 2:30-4:00
      P, Youth Group 7:00-9:00
TH: A, Band 2:30-5:30
      C, Soccer 5:30-6:30
      JJ, Soccer Coach 5:30-6:30
      S, Soccer 6:30-8:00
      P, Cheering at Middle School Football Game
F:  Me & JJ - Volleyball, time varies
      A, Marching at HS Game, 5:00-11:00
Sat: Soccer Games, Marching Band Competitions

On top of all that, Juan plays soccer, I'm on the board of my church, and we have to eat, and the kids have homework.

If you think you are busy, KNOW I am.


So what the heck to we do?  How do we EAT??  

Well this year I decided to create a meal plan for 3 months.  To get us through the busy season.  


Ok, I am using Google Drive to share files with you.  here is the link to the .xls file of the meal grid.  That way, you can change it to meet your needs.

Meal Plan Grid

So Far we have completed week 1.  and it worked like a charm.  I spent ALL DAY Sunday cooking 28 pounds of chicken.  I made 14 pounds of chicken using the below pioneer woman recipe:


This is what I grill, then freeze.  It is so good and versatile.  Marinating it over night is crucial.  When I freeze it, I put each breast in a Quart Freezer bag, and then another, then I will put several in a Freezer Gallon bag.  So this chicken is triple bagged.  

I made 7 pounds of chicken Thighs, bone it-Skin on marinated over night in 
3/4c brown sugar, 3/4c soy sauce, Juice of 3 limes, 3 cloves minced garlic, 1/4t curry powder, and 2t crushed red pepper flakes.  

Baked in a 400* oven, 15 minutes per side.   yum  yum yum.  It was really delicious.

Chicken Taquitos  http://happymoneysaver.com/freezer-chicken-taquitos-with-cream-cheese/  I think these would be better if they could be fried. I haven't experimented with that though.  My thought was fry, then freeze, then bake.  Or Fry from frozen.  The filling is delish.

Chicken Italian-o - Crockpot recipe - http://overthebigmoon.com/super-fast-chicken-freezer-meals/  I serve it with Rice, or you could use mashed potatoes or pasta.There are several recipes here, and they are meant to freeze raw, and then throw in the crock pot.  It works just as well to throw it in fresh the day before, or early in the afternoon.  I usually double the sauce part, because I like lots of sauce to go over the rice.

It took me most of the day.  JJ did help.  But Yes, I made ALL of that on Sunday. I also baked 2 pounds of bacon, so that Aurora could have BLTs for lunch at band.  She said they were a success. Good to know.  Baked 400*, until crisp, about 12 minutes.

Then Wednesday Night, I made Potato soup, not to eat Wednesday, we Ate it Thursday.  I had hoped for enough for 2 nights, but it didn't happen, I had 1.5x the recipe.  There is enough for lunch on Friday, so hopefully it doesn't get wasted.  

Potato Soup - (It is perfect) http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-drummond/perfect-potato-soup.html  My only note is i just make a whole pound of bacon for the bacon bits.  I mean, SIX SLICES?!?!?!

I will try to keep you posted on my weekly success/ failure with the meal plan.  We have been using the Kroger click-list.  That is saving time, and keeping me to my list and budget.  

So far, We have had amazing success this first week.  JJ is  picking up next weeks Groceries today.  I will buy some ground beef as Sams Club (whole sale club).  And this weekend I hope to make Meatballs, meat sauce, and some other things.  We'll see.  But then, I won't have any freezer items to cook until September, now's a good time because there is no school, but tomorrow is  Paula's birthday, so I will have to cook Sunday, again.

I hope my plan/ recipes help someone.  Please let me know if you try something, and how you like it by commenting below.

No comments:

Post a Comment